Hallowell® is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our products and protecting indoor air quality.
Hallowell is officially Greenguard - Indoor Air Quality Certified.
- Greenguard is an indoor air quality certification program for low emitting products and materials that evaluate over 75,000 chemicals, including volative organic compounds, carcinogens and reproductive toxins.
- Greenguard certification is referenced in both the Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS and the Leadership for Energy and Environment Design (LEED) Building Rating System.
- Greenguard Children & Schools Certification establishes strict chemical emmission standards for products intended for use in environments where children and others work, play or reside.
Greenguard Emission Criteria
Children & Schools Program
|Individual VOCs||< 1/100 TLV and < CA chronic REL|
|Formaldehyde||< 0.0135 ppm/13.5 ppb|
|Total VOCs||< 0.22 mg/m3|
|Total Aldehydes||< 0.043 ppm/43 ppb|
|Total Phthalates||< 0.01 mg/m3|
|Total Particles (<10µm)||< 0.02 mg/m3|
Hallowell is committed to becoming a sustainable company.
Here are some ways where the company has demonstrated their commitment:
- We are proud to say that 100% of our products are painted with powder, rather than liquid.
Powder paint does not require any solvents when changing colors nor does it require filters.
which both create a hazardous waste. Powder paint contains no Volatile Organic Compounds,
which when emitted may be harmful to humans and the environment.
- Hallowell upgraded the lighting in all owned facilities, which includes, offices, warehouses, and also factories. The company changed to high efficiency ballasts and bulbs with highly reflective housings. Specifically, T-4, T-6, and T-8 bulbs were used. Not only were the bulbs changed in our factory and offices in Deerfield Beach, FL, but also in our distribution centers in Apopka, Plymouth, and Memphis.
- A different chemical is used when applying the conversion coating. Instead i/ using iron phosphate which requires heating of the concentration before application, Bonderite NT-l is used. This chemical does not require heat, ultimately saving energy costs because we are not burning gas to heat the water.
- Hallowell buys the majority of their steel from Nucor, a steel company that/uses 75% recycled steel content to make their steel. Nucor also uses Electric Arc Furnace Technoloy which has 67% less carbon equivalent emissions than from the conventional way of making steel from iron ore.
- There are recycling bins taken up each week for paper as well as alummum and plastlcs.
- Our materials are lead and chrome FREE.
LEED Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
The following is information gathered to help architects and designers figure out how many possible LEED points our products could contribute. The information on this page was taken from the USGBC's rating system 2009 For Schools New Construction and Major Renovations.
The following is information gathered to help architects and designers figure out how many possible LEED points our products could contribute. The information on this page was taken from the USGBC’s rating system LEED 2009 For Schools New Construction and Major Renovations.
Materials and Resources
MR Credit 4: Recycled Content (1-2 points)
Hallowell buys most of their steel direct from the mill. The steel bought is made up of 55.3% post-consumer recycled content and 11.3% post-industrial/pre-consumer.
MR Credit 5: Regional Materials (1-2 points)
Hallowell has their manufacturing facility located in Deerfield Beach, FL. However, products are shipped to six Distribution Centers located across the country where they are stored and/or assembled. Those locations are: Redlands, CA, Carrollton, TX, Dayton, OH, Memphis, TN, Mechanicsburg, PA, and Apopka, FL.
MR Credit 7: Certified Wood (1 point)
Hallowell has wood lockers available that are FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Certified.
Innovation in Design
ID Credit 1: Innovation in Design (1-4 points)
Path 1. Innovation in Design
Hallowell being Greenguard Children and Schools Certified could be a possible contribute to Innovation in Design if many of the other products going into the building are Greenguard Children and Schools Certified as well.